Welcome! (I guess...)

For those of you who by some extremely unlikely set of circumstances happened to stumble upon this page, I apologize to you. For those of you who intentionally came to this page - yikes! As the title of the weblog indicates, these are my Ramblings About Whatever. There is a chance that I will ramble about just about anything (as I am in this introduction), but only a select few topics will actually make this site. Enjoy! (I guess...)

Monday, September 17, 2007

The Evils of Fantasy Football

It is quite unfortunate that I have to admit this, but I have finally officially become 100% corrupted by fantasy football. But in order to adequately describe the nature of my fall, I must provide a little background. The background is that I have been a fan of the New York Football Giants for roughly twenty years now and that I vehemently hated the Dallas Cowboys for the majority of the 1990s. Okay, now that the history is out of the way, I can dive into the discovery of my full corruption.

The current NFL season started within the past two weeks and as luck would have it, the New York Football Giants were scheduled to play against the Dallas Cowboys during the first Sunday Night Football telecast of the year on NBC. This was good since it meant that I could watch the game at home. And for the record, if the game was not to be broadcast on a television station that I received, I would almost assuredly not have gone anywhere else to see it. It was perhaps just plain luck that I happened to have the Giant quarterback Eli Manning on both of my fantasy teams, but it was my presumed wisdom that caused me to leave him on the bench in the first week in both leagues. You see, my wisdom was confirmed by the performance of my starter in one league, Dallas quarterback Tony Romo, but this supposed wisdom was utterly refuted by my starting quarterback in my other league, Bills quarterback JP Losman. It is use of Romo that I would like to discuss in greater depth.

As I have already indicated, Tony Romo plays for the Dallas Cowboys. And also as I have stated, I hated the Cowboys for the better part of the 1990s. But there is certainly more that acts as confirming evidence of utter fall. Tony Romo has been linked to 2005 American Idol winner Carrie Underwood. Anyone who knows me well knows that my abhorrence for this show reaches incalculable heights. The fact that I have a player on my fantasy team that is linked with an American Idol contestant is even more disturbing to me than the fact that I was actually openly cheering when Romo threw a touchdown pass to Terrell Owens because that helped both of my fantasy teams.

And finally, when Eli Manning went down with an apparent shoulder injury late in that game, would you like to know what was my initial thought? Damn...this is not going to be good for my fantasy teams. I have indeed fallen extremely far...

No comments: